The History of Things

This Labor Day was just wonderful. Our friends N & P came up from Newport News to spend Sunday evening and Monday with us. We had a great time relaxing on the deck eating salmon then relaxing over tea, coffee and fresh out of the oven brownies. The next morning after breakfast of eggs and bagels, we hopped in the car and headed off to downtown Richmond. The train station is a definite stop on any tourist trip. The building is quite old over a hundred years and has been renovated. I can imagine it as a perfect place for a fundraiser or banquet for the pregnancy center. I am really looking foreword to getting connected with that particular non-profit organization here in Richmond. Anyhow, after that we walked around a bit then headed up to an artist area near VCU and had lunch. I guess VCU is a big art school and the area seemed to really reflect that. Each of the store fronts were painted different bright colors. I noticed a few Labor day revelers with pooches in tow. We found a nice burger joint with $1.29 cheeseburgers. After lunch we headed off to Cary Town. This area was full of eclectic shops and restaurants. Some were way overpriced and others were not. The over priced shops are not lost on me however. I came away with a shopping bag full of inspiration and ideas for future projects for home decor, gifts and even some fresh ways to coordinate already owned clothes, jewelry and nic nacs from around the house.

Discovering new areas is one of the reasons the East Coast has stolen my heart. Each era is like a coat of paint. Peel back the layer of 21st century and you can find the "colonial wallpaper". Richmond has so much in the way of modern entertainment, but underneath that is the confederate capital of the south. There is the restaurant that was once a YMCA and the store fronts that were once homes. There are churches that played a role in the actual formation of our country. For me it is such an adventure to peal back the layers of modernism and find the history underneath.

On another note, I have a lot of shoes but not a lot of organization for them. Today I was inspired by what looked like a fifties wine rack and realized it would be a great shoe organizer for my sandals and flip flops.

Needless to say, this was a very nice Labor Day weekend. This week D and I will head of to Raleigh, North Carolina for his work. While, their we will be able to visit some good friends we made in Arizona.

Before I forget, I just wanted to you all know in case you didn't know that a blogging "thing" is to only put the first letter of a person's name. This is to respect the privacy of the people and to keep some security. I haven't mastered that yet, but I'm working on it. Anyhow, that's why there aren't full names.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My second greatest creation!

DIY Day a bracelet and another Frenchh Memo Board

A New Side Table Arrangement and Jewelery Give Away