Leaders are Readers
I came across this quote today. It isn't by any one person, just a widely used concept in varying circles. One thing that I have grown to have an insatiable hunger for is books on leadership and influence. John Maxwell's books on just such a topic are priceless. I have the one that is in my book list which contains a few different leadership books he has written.
A new book I am about to read that Dan has already read is The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews. John Maxwell himself said of this book, "Andy Andrews will challenge you to reach your fullest potential." If John likes Andy then I like Andy. :) This particular book is a New York bestseller. It reads as fiction. The main character time travels to various influential leaders like Ann Frank, Abraham Lincoln and King Solomon, in history and receives wisdom from each. Dan has read me one of the letters already and it was very good.
I think I might start writing down the different lessons I learn as I read as well as observe the different influential leaders in my life. That way I can go back and read these lessons and maybe share them later. One thing I have learned is from creative writing class. When writing I attempt to never repeat the key word or descriptive phrases. I have tried to apply this in communicating (I'm not always so good at this i.e. work in process). A sample statement when interviewing, "Give me an example of a circumstance when you had to use your personal strengths to over come opposition. How did you handle this difficult situation and prove yourself successful in the end?" I don't repeat the word 'circumstance' or 'situation'. Expanding one's vocabulary makes for a more intelligent conversationalist or communicator. Oh yeah! and thank the Lord for spell check. :)
A new book I am about to read that Dan has already read is The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews. John Maxwell himself said of this book, "Andy Andrews will challenge you to reach your fullest potential." If John likes Andy then I like Andy. :) This particular book is a New York bestseller. It reads as fiction. The main character time travels to various influential leaders like Ann Frank, Abraham Lincoln and King Solomon, in history and receives wisdom from each. Dan has read me one of the letters already and it was very good.
I think I might start writing down the different lessons I learn as I read as well as observe the different influential leaders in my life. That way I can go back and read these lessons and maybe share them later. One thing I have learned is from creative writing class. When writing I attempt to never repeat the key word or descriptive phrases. I have tried to apply this in communicating (I'm not always so good at this i.e. work in process). A sample statement when interviewing, "Give me an example of a circumstance when you had to use your personal strengths to over come opposition. How did you handle this difficult situation and prove yourself successful in the end?" I don't repeat the word 'circumstance' or 'situation'. Expanding one's vocabulary makes for a more intelligent conversationalist or communicator. Oh yeah! and thank the Lord for spell check. :)
Comments