Why I dress conservative

I recently picked a book off my shelf that I realized I have yet to finish, For Women Only by Shaunti Feldahm. I have begun to read through it this week and I am learning quite a few things. I want to share my thoughts on a particular subject that I know can effect all of us. Men are very visual creatures. If this is an uncomfortable subject feel free to go click on any of my links to the left. Otherwise, I hope this can help put into words what I know can be struggles for both men and women. Feldahm did a survey and interviewed hundreds of men to help illuminate particular facts about men.

I have for about the whole time I've been aware of the opposite sex struggled with the desire to make myself look physically attractive to them. I admit even now as a happily married women and now working in a very secular office environment my desire to be recognized and accept moves into this very dangerous place of wanting to show off my body to get noticed. I thank God every day that he did not give me very many curves (especially up top) but I don't dissolution my self into thinking that just because my body doesn't look like Pamela Anderson or Jessica Alba that Satan can't use it to distract men from more pure thoughts.

Here is my personal opinion of why I dress conservative.

#1 I think for one it is a way for women to compete against each other for recognition in a male dominated world. I am not here to compete against women to get ahead in this world but to be an example of Jesus to women characterizing His unconditional love, unconditional forgiveness, unconditional mercy and absolute justness and truth. My dressing to show off my body will not only not help me in being a "safe place" (meaning a friend or sister) in women's lives, but will only tempt them to either do the same or to simply reject my value and validity.

#2 I could very easily and subtly show off my curves to at least get the attention of either my boss or supervisor (both males). For two reasons I avoid this. There are women who do not dress to attract but work hard to earn the attention with their character, their hard work, their heart and their expertise. What good is it to take recognition from a women of integrity by being alluring in my flesh? Number two, I grew up with brothers, have had many guy friends and am now married to a man who is no different than any other man in the fact that men are visual visual visual. Men see attractive women and they are naturally drawn to look at them. It is difficult to look away and even when out of sight to get them out of their brain. Even later like hours or days that image can pop up. I don't want to be that mental image that distracts men from the goals that God has in place for their lives. Men have great moments and week moments just like women; moments when they are vulnerable. In that vulnerable moment when God is working to make them the great men that God has for them. I want to support them not hinder them. I want to be a supportive women that encourages not hinders.

It is tricky to find the line between sexy and just a well tailored suit (my dress code for work at this point). Instead of nitpicking my clothes I look back to what I know about men. I have known so many great men (and an equal number of great women) and I have known great men who have either stumbled or fallen because in their weak moments the submitted to temptation. I don't want to be that temptation. I want to know that if a man is in a weak moment I would not contribute. I know what my weak moments are and I am thankfully not dissolutioned to think that their is any sin that I am immune to.

This leads me to tell you I take my last blog entry seriously. Their are times I will fall prey to the desire to use my body because I am weak and like I said I am a hypocrite and I am a sinner. If I walked into church, or a friend's house or work I would want my fellow friend's to rescue me from that course of action before I pull any one down with me.

Comments

Cayce said…
Great Blog! Thanks for sharing these thoughts. They are always a great challenge and reminder.
I have that book too. and the other one for Joe to read. I doubt he'll read his, but I'll read it and tell him the parts I want him to know about me.

I agree about dressing conservately sp? It is hard to not be frumpy, and not be sexy. It is a fine line. I wear a lot of cammies because of this. :)
Pastor Brian on KTSY, our Christian radio station, talked about dressing conservatively this morning. I thought that was cool, since you just talked about it. :)

Popular posts from this blog

My second greatest creation!

DIY Day a bracelet and another Frenchh Memo Board

A New Side Table Arrangement and Jewelery Give Away