An interview with Minister Warren Baldwin
The book, Roaring Lions and Cracking Rocks is a great book written by Minister Warren Baldwin a favorite blogger of mine.Above is a picture of Minister Baldwin at a book signing. He has done that a lot lately, book signings. Currently he is off at a conferance speaking to other pastors. Well here is some good bits from my good friend Warren. Enjoy!
Thank you Katie for asking me to write another guest post for you. You have a very good blog and I’m honored to be part of it today. I will key off some of your questions for this post.
How did you happen to write a book?
This book is the product of another writing project. I do 5-minute devotionals for the local radio program. I spend hours every week writing a broadcast to be heard only once. I decided to make that writing time serve multiple purposes, and that is how the idea for this book was born.
Why pick Proverbs? Because I had been studying Proverbs for a couple of years, they are so real to life that application just unfolds naturally, and everyone loves Proverbs. I would pick a proverb, research its meaning in commentaries (for background and Hebrew meaning) and think of biblical or current life situations that reflect the meaning of this proverb. This exercise often takes several hours. Then, it is a matter of writing it out in a way that I hope is interesting.
This book was written over a period of about two years, but it took about another 2 years to get it in printed form. It shouldn’t have taken two years to get it printed, but I spent considerable time sending it to editors, waiting on responses, changing things and then waiting four months with the manuscript on my floor because I wasn’t happy with an editing job that was done on it. Fortunately, I had a couple of friends that kept prodding me with, "When is it going to be finished," so I got motivated to find another editor, and got it going.
This book is the product of another writing project. I do 5-minute devotionals for the local radio program. I spend hours every week writing a broadcast to be heard only once. I decided to make that writing time serve multiple purposes, and that is how the idea for this book was born.
Why pick Proverbs? Because I had been studying Proverbs for a couple of years, they are so real to life that application just unfolds naturally, and everyone loves Proverbs. I would pick a proverb, research its meaning in commentaries (for background and Hebrew meaning) and think of biblical or current life situations that reflect the meaning of this proverb. This exercise often takes several hours. Then, it is a matter of writing it out in a way that I hope is interesting.
This book was written over a period of about two years, but it took about another 2 years to get it in printed form. It shouldn’t have taken two years to get it printed, but I spent considerable time sending it to editors, waiting on responses, changing things and then waiting four months with the manuscript on my floor because I wasn’t happy with an editing job that was done on it. Fortunately, I had a couple of friends that kept prodding me with, "When is it going to be finished," so I got motivated to find another editor, and got it going.
What are some tips in helping aspiring writers get started?
Good question! I’ll mention a few things that were helpful for me.
One, know your subject. Whether you are writing fiction or nonfiction you need to know the subject you are writing about. Your subject could be history, religion, child care, marriage and family, world travel, a book of the Bible, family dysfunction, mountain lions, ice bergs, politics, economics or any other of the myriads available, but you must know about your topic.
I don’t think you have to be an expert in all facets of your subject. It helps, sure. What is important is that you have a broad knowledge of it, and that you know something of value to add to the overall understanding people have of it. I am not an expert in Proverbs. Authors like Bruce Waltke, Dave Bland and Tremper Longman are Hebrew experts with years of studying Proverbs in its original language. They have each written commentaries on the Hebrew text. I can’t do that with the same level of expertise they can. But, I can read a proverb, consult their books for insights into the biblical text, and make application of it for my listeners and readers.
Two, know who you are writing for. Have a real audience in mind. Do you see children reading your works? Then have a specific child in mind and picture that boy or girl reading your story.
Each chapter in my book was first a manuscript for a radio program. The program airs at 6:55 every morning when people are getting ready for work or school, eating breakfast, or even arriving at work. As I was writing I pictured people sitting in their trucks beside an oil pump
waiting for the program to end. I have this mental image because several oil field workers told me that is their routine every morning - they listen to the program then hop out to begin working.
Picturing my listeners shapes how I write the manuscript, and thus how I wrote the book. In my case, each program would have to be short, interesting, and would have to have something to capture someone’s attention immediately! If a guy was thinking of hopping out of the truck early I wanted my opening statement to arrest him so he’d listen for a few minutes.
Also, I wanted my radio program and thus the book to have an appeal for Christians and non-Christians. Feedback I’ve gotten from people is that even those who don’t go to church appreciate the practical application of Proverbs to their lives. One thing I hope and pray is that someone reading this book will realize that they need God, the Bible, and church in their lives!
Finally, I would say don’t let go of your dream! Some people might laugh if you tell them you are writing a book. Some won’t believe you can actually do it. Don’t listen to them.
I think anyone can write a book if they will do the following things consistently over time (and by that I mean over years): 1) Read widely and study regularly. Don’t limit your reading to your subject of interest - read books that aren’t related to your field. You’ll be amazed at the insights and illustrations you’ll find. 2) Think about what you are learning and what it means for your life and what it could mean for others 3) Take notes of what you are learning and thinking (it is amazing what you can forget!) 4) Write, write, write. Even if what you write today never makes it to publication somewhere, it is helping you become a better writer. 5) Share your writing with friends who will give you honest and critical evaluation. Don’t get your feelings hurt if they don’t like what you have written! You are looking for ALL feedback, because it all goes into shaping you for your craft. 6) Submit some of your works for publication. It could be on a blog, a church bulletin, the local newspaper or a journal in the field in which you are writing. 7) Keep writing!
My dream took about 20 years to bring to maturity. That’s ok. Right now I have four other books in various stages of development. One of them will be a sequel to Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks and Other Gems from Proverbs.
Good question! I’ll mention a few things that were helpful for me.
One, know your subject. Whether you are writing fiction or nonfiction you need to know the subject you are writing about. Your subject could be history, religion, child care, marriage and family, world travel, a book of the Bible, family dysfunction, mountain lions, ice bergs, politics, economics or any other of the myriads available, but you must know about your topic.
I don’t think you have to be an expert in all facets of your subject. It helps, sure. What is important is that you have a broad knowledge of it, and that you know something of value to add to the overall understanding people have of it. I am not an expert in Proverbs. Authors like Bruce Waltke, Dave Bland and Tremper Longman are Hebrew experts with years of studying Proverbs in its original language. They have each written commentaries on the Hebrew text. I can’t do that with the same level of expertise they can. But, I can read a proverb, consult their books for insights into the biblical text, and make application of it for my listeners and readers.
Two, know who you are writing for. Have a real audience in mind. Do you see children reading your works? Then have a specific child in mind and picture that boy or girl reading your story.
Each chapter in my book was first a manuscript for a radio program. The program airs at 6:55 every morning when people are getting ready for work or school, eating breakfast, or even arriving at work. As I was writing I pictured people sitting in their trucks beside an oil pump
waiting for the program to end. I have this mental image because several oil field workers told me that is their routine every morning - they listen to the program then hop out to begin working.
Picturing my listeners shapes how I write the manuscript, and thus how I wrote the book. In my case, each program would have to be short, interesting, and would have to have something to capture someone’s attention immediately! If a guy was thinking of hopping out of the truck early I wanted my opening statement to arrest him so he’d listen for a few minutes.
Also, I wanted my radio program and thus the book to have an appeal for Christians and non-Christians. Feedback I’ve gotten from people is that even those who don’t go to church appreciate the practical application of Proverbs to their lives. One thing I hope and pray is that someone reading this book will realize that they need God, the Bible, and church in their lives!
Finally, I would say don’t let go of your dream! Some people might laugh if you tell them you are writing a book. Some won’t believe you can actually do it. Don’t listen to them.
I think anyone can write a book if they will do the following things consistently over time (and by that I mean over years): 1) Read widely and study regularly. Don’t limit your reading to your subject of interest - read books that aren’t related to your field. You’ll be amazed at the insights and illustrations you’ll find. 2) Think about what you are learning and what it means for your life and what it could mean for others 3) Take notes of what you are learning and thinking (it is amazing what you can forget!) 4) Write, write, write. Even if what you write today never makes it to publication somewhere, it is helping you become a better writer. 5) Share your writing with friends who will give you honest and critical evaluation. Don’t get your feelings hurt if they don’t like what you have written! You are looking for ALL feedback, because it all goes into shaping you for your craft. 6) Submit some of your works for publication. It could be on a blog, a church bulletin, the local newspaper or a journal in the field in which you are writing. 7) Keep writing!
My dream took about 20 years to bring to maturity. That’s ok. Right now I have four other books in various stages of development. One of them will be a sequel to Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks and Other Gems from Proverbs.

Comments
cornelia seigneur
www.corneliaseigneur.com
I'm off the mountain where we had our retreat and am at computer (obviously!). Am in Sacramento, CA, hoping to fly into Denver tomorrow (Thur) if the snow will let up.
Thank you for running this interview. Sorry for the mixup on scheduling the post. I thought it was for this Mon, that is why I put notice on my blog! Then, I was on the mountain for the retreat and couldn't take it off. Thanks for catching it and posting the interview.