Doing what I can, something I've wanted to share with you for a while now.

It didn't occure to me (or the thought just never stuck) that I've always wanted to adopt, but so far that isn't in the cards so far so I have worked with foster care kids and supported teens through all manner of things.

When I was a CASA, Court Appointed Child Advocate, I witnessed a child go from living with his family to learning they were indeed not actually his family to living in an overflow home where kids go when there isn't an available foster family. That is all I can say about what I know, however, the details of this child's life are in my mind and heart and I will never forget that day. It broke my heart. God be willing, it is a wound that will never heal.

This child went from having a family, a home, a bed, video games, toys, friends, security. When this child left, all that went with this child was a duffle bag and what it could hold.

Through my degree I learned of foster families "lending" things to the children and then when they leave, those things don't go with them. When they leave their parents, foster parents, family members, they don't normally get to take their bicycle, their DVD collection, the puppy, the best friend who lives right down the street.

I have wanted to write this post for a while. I haven't known what to write. Even now, the screen blurs before me. I want you to understand, to know, to get it. I want it to sink in, not just float on the surface and then disapear. I wish I could tell you the details of that one child, of all of them. Maybe all the sordid details might move your heart. I can't. I won't.

I've thought about what I could do while I am not a CASA. I am hoping to again be a CASA soon. I've prayed about another way I can help these children. It is small, probably to most its nothing but to what I have shared here, to me its big, to some of these kids its big. Small things become big when the big things aren't there to be big anymore.

I started my own jewelry business a few months ago. I am excited about it. I'm good at it. I want to use this to help these children in even this small way. A necklace or pair of earings fits perfect in a duffle bag and it won't ever be a loaner. That is why, along with the amazing youth group at Friendship Baptist Church, we have made jewelry to give to some foster children for Valentines Day. I will be going this coming week to finish it up and get it to the Richmond CASA office for CASAs to give to their CASA children.

It isn't much maybe but it is something. As I develop and work on IM139, Intricately Made 139 (the 139 comes from Psalm 139) then I hope to launch TA139, They Are 139 to make jewelry for foster children.

I've got a lot of information in my head. This is new for me. Thank goodness I married an organized business savy man. I can't wait to see where it goes. I would love your prayer. I need your prayer. Thanks in advance. I will continue, of course, sharing this with you and letting you know how it goes.

Comments

Sharon said…
Wow! MOVED to tears! My screen blurs too! There's so much to say, but so hard to. How do you stuff the depths of your heart into words to try to convey it? Sometimes words are too little. Sometimes words won't work.

Have you ever read "A Child Called It"? I read it (and many more books like it) when I was young, yet remember it still. It still impacts me. Still helps me to see an inkling of a glimpse behind the scenes that I'll never see. Yet, with that glimpse (like you just showed) it helps move me to compassion for those that know. Honestly, that's one reason I have such a passion for those in prison. Many, a lot, MOST(!)there are from broken homes, fostered care, abuse, neglect, abandonment, hopelessness, a lack of love. Too many things were falsely given and then snatched away! Which led to a raging survival mode inside them that did whatever they thought the moment demanded for them to survive..... which honestly, wasn't much survival at all.

What you said reminded me of a home for children called the Adullam House (Adullam after the cave that David hid in with the distressed, those in despair, and those in debt - 1 Sam 22). It's a home for children whose moms are incarcerated with short-term sentences. Sadly, a lot of times the moms never come back to get the kids that prison caused them to abandon. But when I call this place "a home"... I mean, it's really a HOME! It's not just run like a home. It seriously is a home! There are 30 something kids there at the moment. And they are building another house to home almost 50 more. It's one of the sweetest places I've ever been. The kids are all so happy. Smiling every time I've been. They have a feel of belonging. They're secure. Feel loved. And love in return. My oldest daughter is actually in the works of putting a fashion show together as a charity to raise money to give them toward finishing the house that they've started. It is run totally from donations. And let me put it this way, God is a Father to the fatherless.... and He is taking care of His children! And yes, through the hands of people who care.

I LOVE what you're doing!!! I will pray that God blesses it far beyond what you've ever imagined and that it blesses those tremendously that they're given to. As He, through you, takes care of His dearly loved children.

Have you ever considered tagging a scripture to each piece of jewelry and praying over each piece? We'll never know the power of prayer and all that it does when it goes.

As precious as you are, and as much as you believe in prayer, I'm sure I didn't suggest anything that you had not already thought of. But just in case, I had to say. :)

I love your heart, precious friend!
Sharon said…
Sorry. Me again.

Have you read the book: She Did What She Could? (You can find a glance of it here on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/She-Did-What-Could-SDWSC/dp/1414333781)

YOU remind me of her!
Susan Finton said…
A worked for CPS when I was younger and could never understand the foster parents who took back toys, etc. when the child left their home. I can't imagine the damage that did to already damaged children. I watched one family give up their adopted child because they were finally expecting one of their own. They explained that they didn't need "someone else's" child now. They had adopted this child three years earlier, and sent her back with only a small garbage bag of possessions. Bless you for being thoughtful enough to make jewelry for these children. Hopefully, they can understand that somebody cares.

Popular posts from this blog

My second greatest creation!

DIY Day a bracelet and another Frenchh Memo Board

A New Side Table Arrangement and Jewelery Give Away